Sunday, January 24, 2010

Crock pot heaven

I thought I'd post the Crock pot menu that I tried last week - it was a real gem and we'll definitely be making it again!


Chicken Stew

(Makes 5 servings, ideal slow cooker size is 4 quarts)

1 lb uncooked boneless, chicken breasts, cubed (The chicken did get a bit dry so next time we may do bone in)
14 oz can low sodium Italian Diced Tomatoes, undrained
2 potatoes (I used one and it was plenty for my liking), peeled and cubed.
5 carrots, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped (I used more!)
1 onion, chopped
2 4oz cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained (I prefer fresh mushies)
3 Chicken bouillon cubes
2 tsp sugar (I used less!)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dill weed
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 Cup water

1. Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and water in slow cooker.
2. Combine water and cornstarch. Stir in slow cooker.
3. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours until veggies are tender.

Easy, hardy, delicious and makes plenty for leftovers the next day! Enjoy!

Up this week for us in the crock-pot: San Antonio Style Tortilla Soup. I'll let you know how it goes!

Also, a little shout out to my friend Andie for getting me the cookbook "Fix it and Forget it, Lightly" waaaay back when!

1 comment:

Kathy Hester (GeekyPoet) said...

I love my slow cooker too! I am posting my healthy slow cooker recipes on my blog http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com. You might fine some that interest you.